Welcome to Heartsdesire

Welcome to my place! just wanted to share my art, my dogs and whatever else inspires me.

Friday, January 28, 2011

Quilt Camp

Calico Gal Scout Quilt Camp
What fun! Beautiful quilts, lots of laughs and new friends to be had. Can you say FFFFFinish?  I know you can, but be careful if you do you might just loose your princess pin :(.  I lost my very early but that's ok  then I could say the secret "F" word all I wanted and not worry and still have all the fun.

But for me quilt camp is beginning to take on another meaning and it's a little strange indeed.

The very first quilt camp I attended was with the Patchwork and Pies girls. I knew very few people but was looking forward to the weekend at the Riversedge resort in Alexandria Bay with nothing to do but sew! Well, shortly after the start of camp this very nice lady came up to me with a quizzical look on her face, read my name tag then looked at me and asked "who is your father?" I responded, Bill Butler. The lady Swooned back with hand on her heart and replied "OHH he had the most beautiful eyes" then she turned to her friend and said "Sue, this is Bill Butler's daughter". Again, "Ohhh his eyes were just beautiful". Turns out both of these nice ladies had gone to high school with my dad.

Well, to say the least I was like, yuck, your talking about my dad here. but actually it was kinda sweet. We became fast friends and they are some of my favorite quilting pals.
My Dad

So now, once again I am at a quilt retreat with a group of ladies many of which I have never met. And one of the ladies asks The Question,... "Who is your father?" I know, here it comes, I'm expecting the ever favorite response about his beautiful eyes, but wow was I in for a surprise! here it comes... "boy could he play basketball!". So, as she says this with a smile and a twinkle, I didn't really dare ask but rather let my imagination do the talking. I know that my dad was a very talented athlete, but was she really interested in his athletic ability to play basketball or was there something just a little bit more? I mean let's be truthful here, it has already been established that he has beautiful eyes, and I know what I was looking at when I went to sporting events as a teen.


I guess we will never know, and maybe not knowing is really the fun. But, it never ceases to amaze me how small our world is and how popular my dad was. He must have been really something his youth. At least the girls thought he was!

No comments:

Post a Comment